31 August 2009

Surrounded by idiots

My parents, I've just realized, are completely incapable of offering anything other than frustrating, ridiculous, conflicting opinions thinly veiled as 'advice.' At this point, I'm pretty ready to cut them lose and make my own mistakes, for better or worse.

I need to buy a car -- my air conditioner is shot and it'll cost around $1300 to get it fixed. My car is scarcely worth that much, and I think it's about time I call it a good run before turning her over to the car gods. I've never bought a car before, and thought, "ok, this is where I'll need to ask for advice from my parents."

What they have offered thus far, however, is frustratingly pathetic. Literally, contradictory. One day my mother tells me I shouldn't necessarily look at this purchase like I'll keep the car for another 10 years; today, after being lured by deals I can't really afford (especially without a down payment), I started looking on Craig's List and found some decent prospects. So, I email.

Her: "this one says must sell quickly; that's a red flag."
me: "why? That doesn't necessarily mean it'll blow up; she could be moving out of the country, starting school, taking care of a sick relative, trying to get out of debt, just lost a job... anything."
her: "Well if you want to spend that much money for old cars, then just fix your car now and save for a better down payment."

WHAT THE FUCK?

Let's review: I don't have the means currently to pay $12k for a 2007 car from a dealer. I found as an alternative a $7k 2002 car from an owner (low miles, only two owners total). I am looking to replace a '96 Honda with a busted a/c compressor, broken passenger window, unidentified rattling noise and inoperable inside console lights.

In her world, buying the '07 I can't afford is fucking fantastic, but getting the '02 I can afford is throwing money away on an old car. Again, I ask, WHAT THE FUCK?

I can't even see straight I'm so fucking annoyed. And they wonder why I never ask for crap. GUH.

1 comment:

RedWood said...

You should contact Eddie for any car advice. It is his forte...other than quoting the crap out of the Golden Girls.