15 September 2009

Rant of the Day: banks, pt. II

Ok, fine, not so much banks, but credit union. Whaaaaaaat, you say? How can someone dislike credit unions? They are by the people, for the people, of the people! Well, let's be clear -- I don't hate all credit unions, just one. I have successfully dealt with credit unions since I was in my early 20s, starting out with San Antonio Credit Union, back when I was just a wee lass in undergraduate school (also known as college to those without a stick up their ass). After graduation, I moved on to Capitol Credit in Austin, around 2000 or so. They had such great service that my mom jumped on board after I withdrew my money and moved north to Appalachia. Once I landed in Athens, I jumped on board at Ohio University Credit Union (which I'm sure had a catchier name than that), and when I moved to Houston, I secured a major loan via Smart Financial Credit Union.

I say all this to make a very obvious point: when given the option, I will look to a credit union every time. But in my dealings with University Federal Credit Union (yes, you incompetent sons of bitches, I have changed my mind. I'd been planning to blog about you and offer up a respectful cloak of anonymity, but with this new bucket of bullshit, I will happily call you out at every opportunity), I have been bent over and sodomized, with all the class and tact of a drunk frat boy during rush week.

After receiving a phone call and voice mail yesterday from someone, I emailed J, the only loan officer I've actually met face to face. I gave him a quick rundown and asked precisely why there were descrepencies in my loan papers -- upon further inspection this morning, I found three different balances. To be clear, I went in to borrow $7,998. Not a penny more nor less.

*The loan papers I left with Friday - I now realize - say I borrowed $7,952.
*A deposit slip from Saturday (you'll recall when I had to visit the weird ass wall of pseudo-tellers to deposit the money for tax, title and license) listed my 'previous balance' - what was in my account prior to my deposit - as $7300, give or take.
*The receipt I was given after the bank cut the check to the seller stated my previous balance as $8,006.

And now, more salt in the wound -- I received a letter, postmarked yesterday -- showing the terms of my loan had been altered. Altered, mind you, without my knowledge, consent or signature. Nothing like this was ever discussed on Saturday or subsequently. The amount I've supposedly borrowed has suddenly risen to $8,532, which pushes my monthly payments up about $25. Can I pay that? Of course I can.

But that's not the motherfucking point.

I really hate go to angry black bitch in the middle of the week -- and just before I go speed dating, too! -- but I'm being forced to.

Today's rating: Fail. Yesterday I was at least willing to give one star for locally run and one star for a low APR. With this new and highly illegal development, however, I have no choice. Even if things are resolved tomorrow, I will likely be looking for a new credit union to pay off UFCU so I can get the hell out of this proverbial dodge.

No comments: